Friday, October 22, 2010

Broke Toe

So I broke my pinky toe last Thursday. I never could quite get the hang of Thursdays.

It was during my first no-gi class in over a year, and since we start from the feet, I decided to immediately sit down and buttscoot forward to sitting up guard. As I scooted I kicked my partner in the shin with my toe and heard it snap. It hurt some at the time but more after I finished training. It started to swell, but I trained another match. Now, over a week later, it's still swollen and bruised. There's not much I can do except tape it. I tried training some but it probably would be better to let it rest for a couple of weeks at least. I don't really want to though.

Even drilling hurts. Heck even walking hurts. But I have noticed that when I'm training I'm hyper aware of what's happening because I have to be so careful about where I place my foot. It's interesting. I think this heightened sense of awareness is something that makes a really good grappler. Hopefully I can hold on to this after I've recovered.

The other fun thing is that everyone lets me win!

2 comments:

SkinnyD said...

Nice. I broke my pinky toe Tuesday evening at a BJJ seminar. Now the whole top of my foot is blue.

Dolph said...

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I think you're right about an injury making you more aware and intentional about what you're doing, though.